What are the advantage and disadvantage of interior and exterior insulation?
Review the list below to learn more and decide which strategy is right for your project.
More About Insulation
- It is simpler to install on existing foundation walls.
- Material costs may be low since you can use almost an insulation material.
- Many types of insulation require separation from habitable spaces by a fire-resistant material, since they are often extremely flammable and will release toxic gases if ignited.
- It reduces usable interior space when retrofitted.
- It fails to protect the waterproofing membrane.
- It may become saturated by moisture.
- It minimizes heat loss through the foundation.
- It protects waterproofing membrane.
- It can serve as a capillary break to block moisture infiltration.
- It prevents freeze-thaw cycle damage to foundation.
- it reduces interior moisture.
- It does not reduce usable interior space when retrofitted.
- Installation is more difficult than interior insulation in retrofits.
- Material cost is higher.
- Some exterior insulation materials are susceptible to insect infestation.